Thursday, March 8, 2012

Say Yes

Recently I've found my thoughts dwelling on a phrase Marjorie Hinckley once said about parenting--"whenever possible say yes, they are only kids once!"

Something about that profound, yet simple statement has resonated within me. I have felt a great desire to follow those simple guidelines. Each time my children have asked for things I've stopped before I say the typical "No" since we as mothers assume that anything they want will mean more work for us. Instead, I pause and weigh the request...does it really hurt for them to do that?

For example  my middle child asked me one night while we were attending a delightful color guard competition and were waiting for the scores, "Mom, can I run across the floor and back?" I'll admit I said something to blow it off, but thank goodness she persisted. I'll never forget looking into her eyes and seeing that simple desire to do something. Not only did I give her a gift by saying "Yes", but a felt thrilled. She ran across a few times and then sat down content. No harm was done, no one cared, but she had been given a chance to do something I was ready to push aside.

Just that experience alone has me enthused to say "Yes" more often. If what they request will harm no one but our own convenience, I say let them do it.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I saw this on Pinterest and decided to blog about it, too: FindBalanceWithHope

      Delete